Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cuddling the Furries

When I was young I wanted to be a veterinarian.  I wanted to care and gather up as many animals as I could to make the world a better place. I attempted 'fixing' birds, got a kitten, and I think we had some turtles, if not a few fish.  It was through those experiences that I realized being a veterinarian was a difficult thing - involved blood, guts, and emotional choices I didn't like all that much.  I never lost my passion and wonder for all the creatures of the planet - though I do have some specific preferences for the ones I choose to live with! So while I was cuddling my creatures today, I thought about all the lessons of life through our contact with animals.

I read in the paper this week about a pitbull who had to be taken into the pound to be watched for rabies.  The owner had not kept the dog contained, and he viciously attacked and mauled two women.  I have nothing against the breed of pitbulls, but I have everything to say about the people who kept this dog.  This animal was obviously not socialized properly, trained, or cared for in a way that other human beings would be safe around it. The owners failed the dog, and this happens far too often.  The lesson here is that we are the product of our socialization - and brutality begets violence. We have to be responsible for our actions, as they have consequences that ripple far beyond the walls of our homes.

Another story on the news was a rescue of a small poodle mix with her five puppies.  They were abandoned on the side of the road, and the pups were probably only about 2 weeks old.  It astounds me that anyone could take an animal in that condition, and simply decide to let nature take her course.  The mother dog was not born in the wild, and yet was suddenly placed in a situation where she could not care for herself, let alone her offspring.  The cruelty amazes me, but we turn our backs on human beings the same way.  The lesson here is perhaps open your eyes to those among us who need a helping hand.  It would do us good to help others in need, furry or not.

We live with three furries - one is a smart border collie mix named Max, a black and white 'tuxedo' cat named Ike, and a tiny 13 year old long-haired 'blue' with hypothyroid disease.  Each of them are rescues, and each have a list of needs...long walks, measured food, and medications can sometimes seem to fill a day.  Meeting each of their needs may seem crazy, but the lesson is that the world is not about us individually.  There are other beings depending on us for their life, their happiness, and their well-being.  Giving back to them daily keeps us centered.

And beautifully, these furry creatures give back in so many ways.  Max is a true guard dog and though his barking annoys us at times, he is much better than an alarm system.  (Although I am not sure I need to know when Romeo the cat wanders through Archie & Jane's yard.) He does lots of tricks, loves children, and smiles at about anyone he meets on the street.  He cuddles as much as a 60 pound BIG dog can, and I always appreciate how he nuzzles me daily, just as he did as a puppy, placing his face as close to my neck as he can, and then pushing his 'smart bump' into my chest to get as close as he can.  It is like having a big furry bear hug!  His lesson is to love with exuberance daily with abandon!

Ike  the cat is a character.  She fancies herself to be Max's companion (to his distress) and works at winning his affections in a daily routine of rolling around beside him and touching his face with her paws.  Though he sometimes plays hard to get, he will eventually give in and nuzzle her.  I suppose the lesson here is that if you keep at it long enough,  and roll around enough, you can get what you want...

Neither of our cats are fond of people like Max is.  As a matter of fact, they will disappear at the sound of a voice outside of the immediate family.  Where they go is a mystery, but Guyton will come look around a corner to check things out after an hour or so.  Ike doesn't come out until the coast is clear of strangers.  The lesson?  Be wary of strangers, and take your time to feel comfortable in new situations.

Guyton has special needs, as the thyroid medication is necessary unless we have her go through surgery.  She is barely 4 pounds, and has always been small.  We coerce her into eating with small bits of butter on her food, or what we refer to as kitty-crack.  She also has to put up with Ike's antics - which include jumping on top of her from the dresser, from the stairs, from around a corner, from behind a chair...and when Guyton has had enough she hisses and bats until Ike finally slinks away.  Confront your enemies when you have had enough, and be insistent that you are done with the nonsense.  A great lesson for all of us.

Best of all? The mornings when the dog is sleeping across (read: on top) of my feet, Guyton is stretched out full length sidled up to my legs, and Ike is curled up on the pillow. I know at these moments I should get up and start the day, but there is so much furry warmth and sweetness next to me, I can't help myself!  I just have to snuggle in and cuddle my furry friends...the day can wait 5 more minutes.  Yes, that is the best lesson of all!

1 comment: