Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Journey, part two

The past week I started thinking about the journey I set out on with my husband four years ago. I gave up a job I loved, in the place I felt most at home in the world to go back to school and earn a Ph. D. I always thought I would love doing university teaching, but I just couldn't imagine giving up being around children and teaching music in the band room. I have found the job that actually encourages me to do both and write on top of it all. I couldn't feel more fortunate!

The fact that the first journey is complete should have already set in. Sometimes it does - when someone calls me "Dr."....when I look at my diploma...when things are just quiet and there are no deadlines to be met! And the new journey has begun, as we pack up the house and deal with the logistics of relocation for the new college job. It is a strange transition that has me so moody I have begun to feel a bit bipolar!

I figure, if it is a bit painful to make a break from where you are - that is probably one of the greater blessings of having established important bonds with special people! I will always love this place, these people, these incredibly special moments of my life. It is where I found myself, where I have come closer to becoming who I was meant to be, and because of that, the individuals who encouraged me to grow and stretch will remain treasured mentors, colleagues, and friends. It isn't that this is a more important place than others in my life, but it may be the place where I was able to change the most since childhood. So leaving is both wonderful and painful and a bit scary. I know I lived my life to the fullest here and I don't regret any minute of it! I never wanted to be anywhere else in these four years, and I can almost count the number of times I was sad...so it was a very happy time.

Looking forward, I know there are more changes ahead and yet, I have little sense of what they might feel like. Intellectually I know I am ready. My heart hasn't caught up with my head quite yet. I am totally thrilled to have the opportunity I have! I have a job that actually pays me to do exactly what I wanted to do, in the place I wanted to do it in, close to our children, on the east coast, and to put the icing on the cake, with a wonderful group of people I feel a bond with already! I know in this economy, that has not happened for many of my colleagues who graduated this spring. I worked hard to get in the position, but I also realize that the stars had to align for this to happen. To say I am thankful is an understatement.

The last week I spent conducting a junior band at THE MOST WONDERFUL summer music camp with the most amazing group of people. One of the other conductors called it "Disneyland for band nerds" and that is the perfect description! I was inspired by other directors, impressed with the number of directors working as rehearsal assistants, thrilled by the musicianship class material that aligned with my goals for the week, and humbled by the sheer musical talent flowing around me. And the best part? I was home. Heart, body, and soul - at home. What a beautiful way to end the time I have spent in Greensboro!

I can hardly wait to finish the move and settle into the new job and new community! No matter what bumps we have along the way, we are happy and together and doing what we want to dow with our lives. How great is that? But right now, I should get back to my to do list for moving!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Cindy, So wish we'd have had an opportunity to talk at a 'gathering' this summer but, for your sanity, it was the best thing. I sure hope that we have a chance at it again next summer. It's pretty easy for me to get nostalgic. Sure don't want that summer at NU to slip away into the distant past. Blessings to you and Mark as you move on. BTW, has your Greensboro home sold yet? Love to you! PHyllis

    ReplyDelete